Sunday, August 12, 2007

Paint Swatches....




Yesterday the Alpha Buck and I were married four weeks.

I loved my wedding. Every bride loves her wedding and says so at every opportunity and unless you've ever spent a year (more or less) of your life planning one fuckin' event you're not allowed to comment.

Just wanted to make that clear.

I concentrated on the details because the details count. I interviewed: florists, bakers, photographers, chefs. I searched for and found people who were artists. I hired these artists and honored their talents; I gave them free reign.

Yes, you read that correctly, free reign. I allowed myself to be surprised but was awestruck and humbled by the remarkable results.

Take our florist for example, a woman who is a poet with a pruning sheer. Our planning meeting was a simple, spectacular affair -I brought her some paint swatches and asked about color harmony, depth and what she thought would serve to create a festive mood. We talked at length and I was educated about color spectrum, highlights, a grounding color and the language of flowers. She quickly deduced that I was "...mostly a classic bride with a penchant for funky..." and I replied to that astute assessment in the only way that made sense. I hired her and told her to "have at it and get wild"

She wanted to seem shocked, but the devilish gleam in her eye told me the choice was inspired. I skipped out of that meeting knowing the bouquets and centerpieces would be perfect.

No comments: